Monday, August 17, 2009

And if you don't have time to cook...

Ok, so now I've found out that I have thyroid problems, which leads me to more flax & an attempt to go gluten free (working most of the time!). When I'm doing as I 'should', I take 2 tblsp. flax meal per day. The easiest way for me to take this is to swill it all with some grapefruit juice. While it's not delightful, you get the health benefits in one shot!

Even better, though, is to add this to a smoothie. I got a great new Vitamix, so it takes just a few seconds to whip one up. Also, if you do it this way, you don't have the nutty flavor of flax that will taint the taste of some foods if you cook it and add too much. So you can get more flax bang for your buck, so to speak.

My favorite

1 scoop protein powder
3/4 to 1 c plain or vanilla yogurt
some frozen berries, about a cup
1-2 tblsp of flaxmeal
about a 1tblsp of honey
about 1/2 cup of juice (I usually have apple or grape to hand)

Add the liquids first, and if your berries are fresh, add a handful or two of ice cubes, too.

This shake really gives you energy, and is great before you head off to the gym, and it will also keep you feeling full for awhile, due to the fiber in the flaxmeal.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment